Customers often ask, “Can I use these fireworks inside?” When the guy is holding a massive 500-gram cake or artillery shell meant to explode in the sky, I’m just always confused by the question – is he kidding, pulling my leg or just lacking massive common sense? But then, you’ll get the earnest askers of this inquiry who have picked out some low-explosive fireworks like sparklers or small fountains and really are wondering if they can enjoy them indoors.
To tow the safety line, I’m going to say that it’s never okay to use fireworks inside. Literally, sparks will fly and things will burn, oh will you be sorry. Even innocent-looking fireworks shouldn’t be used inside; case-in-point, the sparkler. I have learned this lesson the hard way. As a teenager, I thought it would be fun to put these in my mom’s birthday cake and she didn’t protest when I presented her with the sparking tower of sweetness. However, what we both didn’t realize until a few minutes later (when it was too late), was that the spark embers landing on the linoleum floor were burning and melting away a little pock mark. Oops. Things could have been much more disastrous if the sparks would have landed on the drapery, tablecloth or carpet.
They only time that setting off fireworks indoors would be in the instance of innocuous items that don’t spark or flame such as party poppers. Sometimes called champagne poppers, these little plastic containers spew out confetti or streamers when the string is pulled. If a “safe box” is used (a safe area where you use your fireworks) and you are in a cleared and well ventilated area, some other small novelties such as glow worms and snappers can be used inside without problem.
Please know that when you go to an indoor rock concert or theater production and see large fountains of fireworks shooting off around the performers, these effects have been planned and managed by a pyrotechnic professional. You should never try to light a spewing, sparking, exploding or aerial firework indoors. Ever.